Environmental Specialist (Entry Level)
Hours Per Week 20 hours avg
Helping our clients achieve big things, Big Pine Consultants LLC is a small environmental, archaeological, and engineering consulting firm serving energy, transportation, development, government, and industrial markets. We believe in serving people and align our corporate and employee goals with our clients’ goals to serve the people in the communities where we live and work.
As a small firm, you will be getting in on the ground floor of a growing business with loads of potential to grow your career!
Our company is focused on people!
We believe that a strong business is built on trust!
We believe that our clients provide us with opportunities to grow when we provide them with excellent service.
We believe that treating employees and clients fairly and working hard to make each other successful builds trust and a positive working environment.
Our management is committed to treating our employees with dignity and respect and rewarding success. At Big Pine Consultants LLC, you are not just a number.
We are seeking an Environmental Specialist to perform a variety of technical responsibilities as well as marketing and administrative activities. As a small business, our staff have to wear many hats. Typical assignments will include assisting with wetland delineation field work, aquatic macroinvertebrate sampling, water quality sampling, endangered species surveys, and other ecological surveys. After field work, you will be responsible for aquatic macroinvertebrate identifications, drafting wetland delineation reports, making maps using ArcGIS Pro, drafting letters to regulatory agencies, preparing permit applications, attending regulatory meetings, and other activities related to getting permit approvals. When not doing environmental technical work described above, you will be required to coordinate and attend client lunches and events, draft social media posts, coordinate traditional client marketing messages, coordinate promotional materials, draft proposals, prepare cost spreadsheets for proposals, assist archaeologists with field work, coordinate company and client events (company luncheons, state of the company meetings, client meetups, etc.), prepare presentations, attend professional meetings such as American Society of Civil Engineers, Society of Wetland Scientists, Society for Freshwater Science, American Fisheries Society, Southern Gas Association, Appalachian Pipeliners Association, and much more.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Safely driving to field and client locations regionally where we do work (PA, WV, MD, DC, VA, and MI and other states as we expand)
- Wetland and stream delineation, including hiking several miles per day in rough terrain during potentially inclement weather. Will require operating a mapping grade GPS unit. Will require knowledge of wetland plants (Identification), hydric soil indicators, and hydrology as described in the United States Army Corps of Engineers Wetland Delineation manual and applicable regional supplements. You will be required to attend several different training programs and do independent studying to develop and maintain delineation and plant identification skills.
- Aquatic macroinvertebrate sampling and identification from wadeable streams, typically using rapid bioassessment protocols or similar methods. Identifications to lowest practical taxonomic unit, typically genus. You will be required to do independent studying to develop and maintain identification skills.
- Water quality sampling including collection of samples, coordination and transportation to qualified laboratory, chain of custody, and maintaining and calibrating sampling equipment.
- Rare, threatened and endangered species surveys regarding plants, bats, and other species. You will be required to attend several different training programs and do independent studying to develop and maintain identification skills including requirements to obtain scientific collectors permits and listing by agencies (US Fish and Wildlife Service, PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, PA Fish and Boat Commission, PA Game Commission, etc.).
- Assist with archaeological investigations including excavating soil test pits.
- Excellent report writing and communication using MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Sharepoint, Teams, and other software)
- Write reports and complete permit application materials
- Create maps using ArcGIS Pro, Drone2Map, and other software
- Write proposals including coordination of other professionals and cost estimating
- Write social media posts
- Coordinate and attend client and company events, dinners, luncheons, etc. for marketing and related purposes
- Assist with project management, including preparing schedules in MS Project software
- NEPA Documents
- Some regional and overnight travel (up to 30-50%) is required, duration and location varies by project, task, and time of year
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelors Degree or better in Biology, Ecology, Environmental Science, or related field
- Professional work experience preferred but not required
- Proficient with Microsoft Office 365 suite of software required
- Excellent communication skills, works well with others, positive attitude, and hard working
Physical Demands and/or Other Job Information (if applicable):
- Physical requirements: Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and hike several miles in rough terrain during inclement weather.
- Possess a valid driver’s license in the employee’s state of residence
- Must be able to pass a background check
- Criminal history
- US Patriot Act Watch List
- Authorization to work in the United States
- Driving History
- Must be able to pass drug test
Pay and Benefits:
- Simple IRA Retirement Program with dollar for dollar match up to 3% of your salary
- Flexible hours, some can be remote
- Training and development courses, both on the job and external
- Assigned company laptop and cell phone (or a $40 monthly connectivity reimbursement stipend if you choose to use your personal device)
Please send your resume to email@example.com.